Summary of Rhode Island Deer Baiting Regulations
Feeding cervids (deer) is generally prohibited. See the details below for exceptions.
Per RI Title 250, Chapter 60, Part 2.12
No person shall feed cervids at any time in the state of Rhode Island except:
- Under a license or permit issued by the Department pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws § 20-1-18 for bona fide scientific research;
- By planting, cultivating, or harvesting of crops directly associated with bona fide agricultural practices, including planted wildlife food plots;
- By distribution of food material for livestock directly associated with bona fide agricultural practices; by distribution of food material for legally possessed captive cervid, pursuant to a permit;
- By cutting of trees or brush; or,
- Elevated bird/squirrel feeders providing seed, grain, fruit, worms, or suet for birds or squirrels located within 100 feet of an occupied dwelling.